The new collection of curated songs from Starbuck's called "Sweetheart" is now available for a listen on KCRW's Album Preview, before the release date of February 4. Beck's haunting rendition of John Lennon's "Love" is here (as featured in an earlier post), along with twelve other tracks of romantically inspired covers.
Jim James starts things off with a soulful take on Bob Marley's "Turn Your Lights Down Low" before Vampire Weekend enters in with a surprising choice of "Con Te Partiró" over a glitchy groove. Phosphorescent's familiar voice of heartbreak channel's Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" while The Head and the Heart delivers the plaintive message of Harry Nillson's song "Don't Forget Me." I'm not a fan of Valerie June's overly stylized vocals for "Happy or Lonesome," nor Fiona Apple's tortured soprano in "I'm in the Middle of a Riddle," but Brandi Carlile brings a refreshing country twang to Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain," banjo and all. Bahamas, Ben Harper and Blake Mills bring a welcome stripped-down approach to their offerings, as Thao (of Thao and the Get Down Stay Down) provides a plucky female spin for Ray Charles' "If You Were Mine." And without a doubt, Sharon Jones closes out the proceedings with a solid take on Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" -- respect!
Link to listen here.
1. "Turn Your Lights Down Low" by Jim James (Bob Marley cover)
2. "Time To Say Goodbye (Con Te Partiró)" by Vampire Weekend (inspired by the Andrea Bocelli recording)
3. "Love" by Beck (John Lennon cover)
4. "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" by Phosphorescent (Bob Dylan cover)
5. "Don't Forget Me" by The Head and the Heart (Harry Nilsson cover)
6. "Happy or Lonesome" by Valerie June (The Carter Family cover)
7. "Always on My Mind" by Bahamas (Willie Nelson cover)
8. "If You Were Mine" by Thao (Ray Charles cover)
9. "Fade Into You" by Ben Harper (Mazzy Star cover)
10. "I'm in the Middle of a Riddle" by Fiona Apple feat. Maude Maggart (Anton Karas cover)
11. "The Chain" by Brandi Carlile (Fleetwood Mac cover)
12. "I Hope" by Blake Mills (Bobby Charles cover)
13. "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (Stevie Wonder cover)